What to Buy in October
Summer's over, and a fall chill is settling in over much of the country. Retailers, even with Halloween yet to come, are beginning to stock Christmas merchandise. For thrifty shoppers, it's a good time of year to pick up some great bargains on current and out-of-season goods.
From Bankrate, Consumer's Report, and online consumer advocates, here's a list of the best things to buy in October:
- Gas grills, lawn mowers, and patio furniture. The big-box stores are blowing out leftover summer merchandise to make room for winter's big-ticket items. This is the time to find the lowest prices on summer furnishings that can be stored away until spring.
- Toys and games. Toy stores, too, are clearing shelves for the holiday buying season. Scan store shelves for rock-bottom buys on a variety of toys and games.
- Wedding supplies. June brides can save on wedding décor and stationery. Also, because it's not currently wedding season, it's a great time to negotiate good rates on venues, services, and rental supplies.
- Jeans. Merchandisers say that once school has started, the market for jeans has cooled, making October the perfect time to stock up on your supply.
- Cars. New models came out in late summer and early fall, so now's the time to shop for a bargain on last year's model.
- Appliances. Like cars, home appliances flaunt new models every fall, making this the perfect time of year to get discount prices—again, on last year's models.
- Cookware and kitchen accessories. Sale prices are said to be lowest this time of year on the stuff home cooks want most. Buy what you need for your own kitchen and stow away more for holiday giving.
- Camping gear. Check out sporting goods stores for good prices now on the camping gear most people are simply not looking for at this time of year.
Reprinted with permission from RISMedia. ©2015. All rights reserved.