An amazing town, Ann Arbor
- Small enough to see five friends on the way to the Farmers' Market.
- Big enough to host world-renowned folks at the University of Michigan.
- La-di-da enough for mansions and ooh-la-la restaurants.
- Gritty enough for student slums and spray-painted Graffiti Alley.
- Funky enough for the Hash Bash, Art Fairs and David Zinn's street art.
- Suburban enough for PTOs, soccer moms and dads, and minivans—many of them hybrid, of course.
"Ann Arbor does it up different"
If you're new to the city, know these things:
- Yes, we *are* liberal. And progressive. And proud of it.
- Yes, we *do* wear Birks. Brazenly.
- Yes, we care about being green.
- Yes, we love diversity—in many flavors.
- Yes, we're smart. More people here have graduate degrees than undergrad.
- Something's happening every day and night. Check the city's most comprehensive events calendar.
- Don't plan on going anywhere on football Saturdays. Except during the game. Unless you're *at* the game.
- No, we're not snobby. We're deep in thought.
- Farmers' Market
- The Sunday Artisan Market
- FestiFools and Fool Moon, sponsored by WonderFool Productions
- People's Food Co-op and Cafe Verde
- Summerfest / Top of the Park
- Zingerman's Deli
- The Ark: Live music 300 nights a year.
- Night Spots: Click on a date to see which bands are playing in Ann Arbor.
- Kerrytown Concert House: Intimate venue in a historic Victorian home in Kerrytown: concerts, art exhibits, theater.
- University Musical Society: World class musical performances.
- Urban Fairies website
- Fairy Doors search results on Google, including stories by Atlas Obscura, MLive, NPR and the Today show.
Fairy houses take the tiny house trend to a magically miniature level
There's the tiny house trend, and then there are these tiny houses — so miniature t...
- After 6 p.m., it's free—and all day Sundays and on most major federal holidays. For more info, see Republic Parking A2. The site also gives EV charging locations—because *of course,* it's Ann Arbor—moped parking spots, real-time parking spot availability, and how to pay your meter by phone.
Reduce / Reuse / Recycle / Resources
- Drop-off Station: Here's a recycling guide.
- Habitat for Humanity ReStore
- PTO Thrift Shop: All proceeds from this resale shop go to the Ann Arbor Public Schools.
- ReUse Center: A gazillion great recycled things, including housewares, tools, furniture, artwork, appliances. You gotta go. You can donate your junk, too.
- Salvation Army Thrift Store
Peruse the many organizations Ann Arbor hosts, from the Ann Arbor Observer's City Guide.
The University of Michigan Medical Center was recently rated the No. 1 hospital in Michigan and the 18th best in the United States.
- Ann Arbor Public Schools
- Ann Arbor Rec & Ed: That's short for recreation and education. Tons of classes, sports, clubs....
- Hands-On Museum: Kids love the interactive science, math and tech exhibits—as do grown-ups.
- Leslie Science & Nature Center: Feed raptors, take hikes, meet critters.
- Neutral Zone: "We are a diverse, youth-driven teen center dedicated to promoting personal growth through artistic expression, community leadership and the exchange of ideas."
Farmers' Market / Foodies / CSA
- Ann Arbor Farmers' Market
- Community Gardens: Here's a story from one of our clients, Katie Whitney, about her first year of tending a community garden plot.
- Community Supported Agriculture: What it is and where it is in Ann Arbor
- SELMA Café
Useful Ann Arbor Links
Photo credit of Graffito Alley: maltman23 via VisualHunt.com / CC BY-SA