5 Home Upgrades to Make This Fall
Fall is the perfect time of year to tackle home improvement projects, especially those that enhance existing features or add new functions to your home. This season, consider making cost-conscious upgrades, such as:
1. Revitalizing worn woodwork – Nothing ages a home's appearance faster than tired, weathered woodwork on the front porch or back deck. Apply a fresh coat of stain or paint to your outdoor woodwork to breathe new life back into your home's exterior.
2. Updating kitchen cabinetry – Rather than spend a fortune on new cabinetry, give your existing cabinets a facelift. After a thorough wipe-down, apply a coat of paint and install new hardware – simply changing out dated pulls for more contemporary versions can completely update the look of your kitchen.
3. Adding power supply – Adding function can be as valuable as aesthetic appeal. To prepare for fall's unpredictable climate, consider installing a standby generator for the appliances in your home, such as refrigerators and washing machines and dryers.
4. Replacing lighting – Changing up the lighting can completely transform a space. Use window treatments to control natural light, and floor and table lamps for subtle task lighting.
5. Installing a new floor – Replace heavily worn carpet in high traffic areas with a more durable option, such as wood or tile. Or, consider removing and replacing grout on tile floors, then sealing the floor to protect the finish.
Source: Briggs & Stratton
Reprinted with permission from RISMedia. ©2015. All rights reserved.