If you’re a homeowner with a passion for cooking, there’s likely one amenity you covet above all others: a gourmet kitchen. But you don’t need a five-star restaurant budget to have a chef-worthy kitchen. All it takes are a few simple upgrades and coordinating design elements, say the experts at faucet manufacturer Brizo (www.brizo.com).
- Just as great recipes call for top-quality ingredients, great kitchens need excellent tools. Maximizing storage is key for those with a collection of kitchen tools and culinary essentials. Avoid overwhelming renovations and make the most of storage options by thinking "outside the cabinet" to fully accommodate needs.
- For a crisp, modernized look, arrange pots and pans in a line on the wall with a linear rack. Take organization a step further by incorporating a magnet bar for sharp utensils, ensuring tools are close at hand without getting in the way. Store culinary tools and flatware in expandable drawer dividers to ensure all cabinet space is utilized and the counter remains clutter-free.
- To bring a bit of the outdoors in, plant a miniature herb garden for fresh flavor enhancements when you need them. Spaces in front of a kitchen window with natural light are ideal for an indoor garden.
- Various herbs in three- or four-inch pots can be grouped together in stylish trays to keep humidity high. For an extra splash of color, add edible flowering plants to the garden, such as lavender, lemongrass and violet. These homegrown herbs can be used as garnishes, to layer flavor into a dish or even in cocktails for at-home entertaining.
- Commercial restaurants work well with cooking stations for seamless preparation and execution. Designate specific areas for every facet of meal preparation to aid in overall organization and evoke the look and feel of a five-star kitchen in your home.
- In most top-rated kitchens, food preparation is commonly performed between the sink and refrigerator to ensure all needs are met for retrieving, rinsing and chopping. Added elements like a deep sink and wide counter space make these tasks efficient and restaurant quality.